We Respect Your Privacy
This policy was last updated on 18 June 2019.
This policy was last updated on May 25, 2018.
Information Collected About You
You may provide us with certain information in connection with a transaction or in your interactions with our websites and at our locations. We collect the following types of personal information from you:
- Your name, contact information, date of birth, driving licence number and expiry date and emergency contact information;
- Vehicle rental information, including the location of where the vehicle is rented, date of rental, type of rental and your preferences;
- Your credit card details, Enterprise, Alamo or National rewards information, online user account details, membership/corporate ID numbers, passport information and frequent flyer or travel partner affiliations;
- Information you provide regarding your marketing preferences or in the course of participating in surveys or promotional offers;
- Photographs you submit of you and your driving licence or your receipts through camera features available on some of our mobile applications and websites;
- Information about relevant health conditions you have that assist us in providing you with adaptive driving devices; and
- Financial information that is necessary to facilitate the purchase or lease of a vehicle from a Car Sales or Fleet Management location
Third parties provide us with additional information about you, including:
- Referral Sources, such as third-party online booking sites (who provide us with general contact information and a booking confirmation number to facilitate the rental), your employer (general contact information) and your insurance provider (general contact and policy information).
- Where applicable, our Refer-A-Friend programmes.
- Hotel, airline and membership clubs, who provide us with your general contact information and booking information.
- Credit reporting agencies, who, for fraud prevention purposes, provide us with identity-related information.
- Franchisees, who provide us with information regarding your rental transactions.
- Service Providers, such as customer support (customer service-related information and enquiries made by you), customer survey providers (your response to our customer service surveys) and marketing providers (information to assist us to better communicate our products and services).
With your consent, we will access location-based information, such as zip code, postal code, city, metropolitan area or geographic region from your mobile device. We will use this information to provide you with notifications related to our locations, return information, local offers or other information that we think will be helpful in providing you with better services. We are only able to identify you using the location-based information if you log in to one of our mobile applications. The location-based information is retained for seven years. This data is hosted by our analytics providers, Localytics and Adobe.
With your consent, our application will utilise your device's camera. If you have allowed us to utilise your location information or your device's camera in the past and wish to revoke the permissions, please change the settings on your device.
We are not responsible for any data that is left in the vehicle as a result of your use. We cannot guarantee the privacy or confidentiality of such information and you must wipe it before you return the vehicle to us.
In the European Union, our vehicles are required to be equipped with eCall technology, which is activated if your vehicle is involved in an accident. eCall will automatically call and provide information regarding the accident to emergency services. We will also use, disclose and have access to this information.
Telematics Data will be shared with emergency service providers, others who assist in responding to an accident, telematics service operators or those with whom we have a legal or contractual obligation to provide such data.
Our websites and online marketing are not directed to, and Enterprise Holdings does not knowingly collect personal information from, children under the age of 18 or your country's age of minority. If you nevertheless believe that your child has provided us with their personal information and you need to let us know to delete it, please contact us using the link at the top of this page.
We use the information we collect from you or about you to provide you with our services and for the following purposes:
- Where it is necessary for us to enter into a contract with you and provide services to you for the duration of the contract, including
- To assist the transactions that you request, such as reserving, renting, purchasing or leasing motor vehicles.
- To provide customer service related to your interactions with us or to respond to your enquiry.
- To enrol you in our loyalty programmes and send non-promotional information relating to your ongoing membership of these programmes.
- Where necessary for us to comply with a legal obligation, including
- To share information about your vehicle's location with emergency services in the event that you are involved in a road accident.
- To share information with government and regulatory authorities when required by law or in response to legal process, obligation or request.
- Where it is necessary for our legitimate interests, as listed below, and where our interests are not overridden by your data protection rights, including
- To communicate important information about your rental. These communications, which are transactional in nature, will be sent to you via email, SMS or calls.
- To assist us in providing better products and services: for example, to evaluate the performance of our staff, to assess the quality of products and services received and to help us improve our websites, facilities and services.
- To compile statistics and analysis about our customers' use of our websites, products and services. These statistics are used only to enable us to provide better customer service, products, features and functionality to you and other customers in the future.
- To develop a profile of you and your interactions with us so that we can provide tailored offers, opportunities and services that may be of interest to you.
- To protect our legal rights and manage the security of our networks and property, including to protect our websites from spam and abuse. For example, we will use CCTV to ensure the security of our premises and we maintain Do Not Rent lists of customers who are non-payment or safety risks.
- To share your information with third parties in order to prevent fraud and protect our business interests and rights, privacy, safety and property or that of the public. We will do this to collect unpaid bills, to avoid liability for penalties you incur (e.g. fixed penalty notices for driving offences) and for claims processing purposes.
- To share your information with third parties in order to permit us to pursue available remedies or limit damage that we may sustain and to enforce the terms of any rental agreement or our websites' terms and conditions. We will also disclose your information to third parties if the rights of another individual may be violated.
- To enable us to use vehicle data systems for purposes listed in the Vehicle Data section above.
- Where you have given consent, including
- To assist us in providing you with the most appropriate vehicles, such as those with adaptive driving devices. In some cases, this will require us to infer or explicitly collect information about your health or physical condition.
- To send you certain promotional or targeted marketing communications, opportunities and services that may be of interest to you. These will include invitations to join our loyalty programmes, upgrade announcements, electronic newsletters and communications regarding an incomplete online membership form or reservation. Some of these offers will be received in advertising on non-Enterprise sites, including on social media.
- To send you text messages in order to provide you with time-sensitive communications related to your transaction (e.g. construction delay at airport branch), extended rental opportunities, customer experience surveys, marketing promotions such as coupons, discounts, last-minute specials or loyalty and rewards information.
Retention of Your Personal Information
We retain your personal information for as long as we need to fulfil our business purposes, as set out below:
- Marketing purposes: We keep data linked to cookies and other online identifiers for up to three years. We keep other marketing information, such as email subscription and loyalty enrolment data, for up to seven years after your last interaction with us.
- Rental transactions: We keep the data associated to your rental agreement for up to seven years from the date of the rental, subject to other local legal requirements. We keep records of payments that you have made for two years from the date of the transaction (depending on the location of the rental).
- Customer service related queries: We keep general queries for three years, unless you make a complaint, in which case, we keep complaints data for seven years.
Disputes & law enforcement: If we are involved in litigation or a governmental or regulatory investigation, we keep data throughout the period of litigation or investigation and for five years thereafter. If a settlement means that we have to keep data for longer, we keep data for the period required to administer the settlement. If we provide data to law enforcement agencies, we keep a record of this for one year beyond the end of the investigation.
To identify who is the data controller or equivalent under applicable law in respect of your personal information, visit the Contact Us page.
We may use a fulfilment provider to carry out your rental car transaction. For example, if you make a reservation for a car and driver in countries that require a driver, we will send your reservation information to the fulfilment provider in those countries. Where car and driver services are made available for you to reserve, these services are fulfilled by the company disclosed at the time of reservation. While made available through our branded websites, these companies are independent operators.
Our Service Providers and Business Partners
We will share your information with third parties, such as (1) payment, administrative and technical support providers or our insurance replacement, corporate rental or other customers or partners to facilitate the rental transaction and rewards programmes with Enterprise Holdings group members, (2) companies who conduct customer research or satisfaction surveys on our behalf, (3) communication providers that send email and other marketing and service-related communications to you on our behalf, (4) customer support providers, such as the provider of our live chat feature, in order to provide you with customer service, (5) debt collection providers, (6) claims processors, (7) analytics and technology providers for location-based services and to analyse, enhance and manage our data in order to provide, maintain and improve our services, and (8) our advertising and marketing partners and third-party media properties, including social media sites, with whom we share aggregated or de-identified information about our customers, to allow them to send targeted advertising messages on our behalf (subject to confidentiality agreements as appropriate).
Your personal information may also be shared with government authorities as outlined above.
Sale, Merger or Change in Control
Your information may also be transferred to another company in the event of a transfer, change of ownership, reorganisation or assignment of all or part of Enterprise Holdings' businesses or assets. This will occur if the parties have entered into an agreement under which the collection, use and disclosure of the information is limited to those purposes of the business transaction, including a determination whether or not to proceed with the business transaction. You will be notified via email or prominent notice on our websites for thirty (30) days of any such change in ownership or control of your personal information or as otherwise may be required or permitted by law.
We may post customer testimonials on our websites which may contain personal information. We use a third-party provider to manage this process. This provider is responsible for obtaining your consent as necessary, removing content upon your request and answering any questions you may have.
Social Media Widgets
In order for us to operate and provide you with services globally, the information that you provide to us or that we collect may be transferred or accessed by entities around the world, including:
- Franchisees/Corporate-Owned Locations: If you book a reservation to be fulfilled by a franchisee in another country or an Enterprise corporate-owned location (e.g. in the United States, Canada, Germany, Spain, France, Ireland and the United Kingdom), we will transfer your personal information to that country in order to facilitate your requested transaction.
- Enterprise Global Information Systems Based in the United States: Enterprise maintains its global information systems in the United States. If you provide us with or if we collect personal information about you outside of the United States, we will transfer and maintain your personal information in the United States.
When we transfer your personal information and process it in the United States, we do so in accordance with the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield Framework and the Swiss-U.S. Privacy Shield Framework (described below) and European Commission-approved standard contractual clauses.
- Third-Party Service Providers: We utilise third-party service providers who are located outside the countries where we have corporate-owned locations, such as call centre support, claims processors and IT providers. When we transfer your personal information to our third-party service providers who are located outside the EEA, we use European Commission-approved standard contractual clauses.
Visit the Contact Us page for the data controller applicable to your transaction.
Enterprise Holdings participates in and has certified its compliance with the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield Framework and the Swiss-U.S. Privacy Shield Framework. We are committed to subjecting all personal data received from European Union (EU) member countries, the United Kingdom and Switzerland, in reliance on each Privacy Shield Framework, to the Framework's applicable Principles.
To learn more about the Privacy Shield Frameworks and to view our certification, visit the U.S. Department of Commerce's Privacy Shield List. With respect to information received or transferred pursuant to these Frameworks, we are subject to the regulatory enforcement powers of the U.S. Federal Trade Commission. In certain situations, we may be required to disclose personal information in response to lawful requests by public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.
Enterprise Holdings is responsible for the processing of personal data it receives, under each Privacy Shield Framework, and subsequently transfers to a third party acting as an agent on its behalf. Enterprise Holdings complies with the Privacy Shield Principles for all onward transfers of personal data from the EU, the United Kingdom, and Switzerland, including the onward transfer liability provisions.
If you have an unresolved privacy or data use concern that we have not addressed satisfactorily, please contact our U.S.-based third-party dispute resolution provider (free of charge) at https://feedback-form.truste.com/watchdog/request.
Under certain conditions, more fully described on the Privacy Shield website [https://www.privacyshield.gov/article?id=How-to-Submit-a-Complaint], you may invoke binding arbitration when other dispute resolution procedures have been exhausted.
Other rights you have may include: 1) to ask for a copy of your personal information, 2) to correct it, 3) to erase certain categories or types of information, 4) to restrict certain processing, 5) to obtain the information you provide in a structured, machine-readable format, and 6) to transfer some of this information to other organisations.
You have the right to object to the processing of personal information on the basis of our legitimate interests. Where we have asked for your consent to process information, you have the right to withdraw this consent at any time.
You can exercise these rights by accessing our Global Privacy Portal on the Contact Us page. We will respond to your request within 30 days or as required by local law.
You have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority regarding our processing of your personal information and/or how we have responded to or handled any concern you have raised with us. In Europe, you may contact the necessary supervisory authority. In Canada, you may contact the Privacy Commissioner of Canada by visiting https://www.priv.gc.ca/cu-cn/index_e.asp or at Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada, 30 Victoria Street, Gatineau, Quebec, K1A 1H3.
We reserve the right not to allow access to your information or to limit your rights (e.g. if such disclosure is prohibited by law or if the rights of another individual might be violated). In some instances, this may mean that we are able to retain your personal information even if you withdraw your consent.
You will be able to opt out of direct marketing communications from Enterprise Holdings and our subsidiaries, affiliates and Franchisees by following the instructions in each communication you receive. You may also contact us directly using the link at the top of this page.
You can opt out of display ads you see on non-Enterprise sites by clicking on the ad choices icon in the ad or through the privacy settings on the site.