How We Use Information About You
We use the information we collect from you or about you to provide you with our services and for the following purposes:
- Where it is necessary for us to enter into a contract with you and provide services to you for the duration of the contract, including
- To assist the transactions that you request, such as reserving, renting, purchasing or leasing motor vehicles.
- To provide customer service related to your interactions with us or to respond to your enquiry.
- To enrol you in our loyalty programmes and send non-promotional information relating to your ongoing membership of these programmes.
- Where necessary for us to comply with a legal obligation, including
- To share information about your vehicle's location with emergency services in the event that you are involved in a road accident.
- To share information with government and regulatory authorities when required by law or in response to legal process, obligation or request.
- Where it is necessary for our legitimate interests, as listed below, and where our interests are not overridden by your data protection rights, including
- To communicate important information about your rental. These communications, which are transactional in nature, will be sent to you via email, SMS or calls.
- To assist us in providing better products and services: for example, to evaluate the performance of our staff, to assess the quality of products and services received and to help us improve our websites, facilities and services.
- To compile statistics and analysis about our customers' use of our websites, products and services. These statistics are used only to enable us to provide better customer service, products, features and functionality to you and other customers in the future.
- To develop a profile of you and your interactions with us so that we can provide tailored offers, opportunities and services that may be of interest to you.
- To protect our legal rights and manage the security of our networks and property, including to protect our websites from spam and abuse. For example, we will use CCTV to ensure the security of our premises and we maintain Do Not Rent lists of customers who are non-payment or safety risks.
- To share your information with third parties in order to prevent fraud and protect our business interests and rights, privacy, safety and property or that of the public. We will do this to collect unpaid bills, to avoid liability for penalties you incur (e.g. fixed penalty notices for driving offences) and for claims processing purposes.
- To share your information with third parties in order to permit us to pursue available remedies or limit damage that we may sustain and to enforce the terms of any rental agreement or our websites' terms and conditions. We will also disclose your information to third parties if the rights of another individual may be violated.
- To enable us to use vehicle data systems for purposes listed in the Vehicle Data section above.
- Where you have given consent, including
- To assist us in providing you with the most appropriate vehicles, such as those with adaptive driving devices. In some cases, this will require us to infer or explicitly collect information about your health or physical condition.
- To send you certain promotional or targeted marketing communications, opportunities and services that may be of interest to you. These will include invitations to join our loyalty programmes, upgrade announcements, electronic newsletters and communications regarding an incomplete online membership form or reservation. Some of these offers will be received in advertising on non-Enterprise sites, including on social media.
- To send you text messages in order to provide you with time-sensitive communications related to your transaction (e.g. construction delay at airport branch), extended rental opportunities, customer experience surveys, marketing promotions such as coupons, discounts, last-minute specials or loyalty and rewards information.
Retention of Your Personal Information
We retain your personal information for as long as we need to fulfil our business purposes, as set out below:
- Marketing purposes: We keep data linked to cookies and other online identifiers for up to three years. We keep other marketing information, such as email subscription and loyalty enrolment data, for up to seven years after your last interaction with us.
- Rental transactions: We keep the data associated to your rental agreement for up to seven years from the date of the rental, subject to other local legal requirements. We keep records of payments that you have made for two years from the date of the transaction (depending on the location of the rental).
- Customer service related queries: We keep general queries for three years, unless you make a complaint, in which case, we keep complaints data for seven years.
Disputes & law enforcement: If we are involved in litigation or a governmental or regulatory investigation, we keep data throughout the period of litigation or investigation and for five years thereafter. If a settlement means that we have to keep data for longer, we keep data for the period required to administer the settlement. If we provide data to law enforcement agencies, we keep a record of this for one year beyond the end of the investigation.